Upright Bass Pickups
Upright Bass Mics
Amps and Preamps:
Preamps & Equalizers
Amplifiers & Speakers
Bows & Rosin
Cases & Gig Bags
Books and DVDs
Double Bass Bridges
Other Bass Parts
Bob's Bargain Basement
Eastern USA Time
or mail check/MO
Ordering From Us
How to Order
About Gollihur Music
Upright Bass FAQs
Questions and Answers
Double Bass Links
Bass Luthier List
Bass Teacher List
Join Our Mailing List
Bass Classified Ads
Our site is tested by TWO services every day to protect your information.
We are an authorized retailer for everything we sell - we do not use unathorized "Gray Market" sources.
Upright Basses & EUB's:
Electric Upright Basses
CR/M Electric Upright Bass by NS Design - CR4M & CR5M, 4/5 String Full Size
RECEIVING GIFTS IN TIME!
Gollihur Music is well known for our quick shipments and well-stocked warehouse, and we'll do everything we can to make sure your gift needs are met in a timely fashion.
[Click for Details]
CR4M/CR5M Double Bass
These beautifully designed basses are crafted in the Czech Republic, a country with a long-standing reputation for quality upright bass building. It features a full-scale fingerboard with adjustable relief to suit varying players' preferences; the bridge height is also adjustable. The select ebony and amber-stained maple combine to make a very attractive instrument - it's obvious that a great deal of care goes into its creation.
Out of the box, the bass begs to be played, with comfortable action and great playability. Acoustically, the instrument vibrates well, and projects a surprising amount of sound for a solid-body. In fact, I found myself playing it for quite some time before I even plugged it in - it's that much fun to play!
Once I did plug it in, I had a lot of fun tweaking the amplified sound; the piezo pickup sounds very good (more on that later) and the EMG magnetic pickups give you the option for a more "electric" sound. And of course, the two pickup systems can be blended together to suit your particular taste. Please note that these basses are also available without the EMG magnetic pickups, I can get these as well. Personally, I think the magnetic pickups are a wonderful addition even if only blended in to support the piezo system.
The tone-shaping options on this bass are pretty impressive. Aside from a traditional two-band (bass and treble) EQ and the balance control to blend the magnetic and the piezo pickups, there is a special "PolarTM" control for the pickup. This control actually selectively changes the piezo pickup's response to either vertical vibration (for the sustained plucked sound, like an electric bass guitar), or lateral vibration (for dynamic bowing, and a percussive plucked sound) - and is sweepable between these two settings to allow you to dial in your sound. I actually got a fairly convincing upright pizz sound by fiddling with an in-between setting on that control and by rolling back the treble a bit.
Three interchangeable support systems are available for the bass: the self supporting tripod stand, more conventional end pin stand, and shoulder strap assembly for full mobility. It also comes with a very nice gig bag with a separate compartment for the stand, as well as a bow pocket and accessory pocket.
- MAPLE BODY AND NECK: The body and neck of the CR Series Double Bass are crafted of solid European hard maple, with a flame maple face. The neck has a traditional upright shape, but with extended access to the upper register of the fingerboard. The solid-body body design enhances sustain and clarity, and is resistant to the effect of changes in temperature and humidity.
- EBONY FINGERBOARD: The seasoned ebony fingerboard is hand graduated to insure that each note is even and buzz free. An adjustable truss rod allows for precise relief adjustment for different strings and playing style. Small dots across the neck provide accurate position markers.
- POLAR BRIDGE PICKUP SYSTEM: The Polar pickups can sense either lateral or vertical string vibration - or both! Set in the lateral mode, the pickup has unparalleled sensitivity in the direction of the bow. In the vertical mode, plucked notes are remarkably even and sustained.
- EMG MAGNETIC PICKUPS: The low-impedance EMG pickups incorporate individually-adjustable coils and neodymium magnets. Each coil is buffered separately for a full sound quality with very low noise.
- ACTIVE EQ AND MIXER: Controls include volume, a blend control for magnetic and piezo pickups, a blend knob to alter the tone of the Polar pickup, and individual bass EQ & treble EQ controls. The 18 volt power supply insures plenty of reserve overhead for full dynamics.
- ADJUSTABLE BRIDGE: Two screws in the back of the body are used to adjust the bridge up and down. This allows the instrument to be set up to meet the requirements of many different playing styles.
- THREE STAND OPTIONS:
- Tripod Stand - Supplied as standard equipment, the Tripod Stand provides stable support, with full height and tilt adjustment. The stand folds down to fit in the gig bag.
- End Pin Stand - An optional End Pin Stand offers the upright bassist a more traditional position, similar to that of an acoustic instrument.
- Shoulder Strap System - A light frame structure is supported by a single guitar style strap extending over the left shoulder. This holds the bass in the correct position for both pizz. and arco styles. With the Strap System to you can achieve full mobility with amazing comfort.
- PORTABILITY: The padded tubular gig bag is only 137 cm (54") long and 18 cm (7") in diameter, and weighs 8.2 kg (18 lbs) with the instrument and stand. A storage area inside the gig bag has room for accessories. The loaded gig bag will fit in the overhead compartment of most commercial aircraft. An optional flight case measures 145 x 25 x 25 cm (57" x 10" x 10").
- LENGTH: 132 cm (52")
- WEIGHT: 4.8 kg (10.5 lbs.)
- SCALE LENGTH: 106 cm (41.73")
- STRINGS 4 or 5 (Low B or high C)
- CONSTRUCTION: Solid rock maple neck and body, flame maple face
- FINISH: Traditional amber stain with clear semi-gloss polymer coating.
- FINGERBOARD: Macassar Ebony;
- 4 string: 43.1mm (1.7") wide at nut; 89.0mm (3.5") max. width
- 5 string: 47.6mm (1.875") wide at nut; 101.6mm (4.0") max. width
- BRIDGE: Black phenolic; radius 7.9cm (3.1") string spacing 81mm (3.19").
- NUT: Macassar Ebony; radius 7.9cm (3.1"); string spacing 30mm (1.19").
- BRIDGE: The Polar™ directional piezo pick-up system responds selectively to either vertical vibration (for the sustained plucked sound, like an electric bass guitar), or lateral vibration (for dynamic bowing, and a percussive plucked sound).
- MAGNETIC (for CR4M and CR5M only): Low impedance EMG™ magnetic pick-up system, with individually adjustable coils, and low-noise, hum-canceling pre-amp.
- ELECTRONICS: 18 volt active circuit by HAZ Laboratories. Mono output.
- TRUSS ROD: Double rod design. Accessible at nut.
- TUNING MACHINES: Schaller 20:1 ratio, fully encased worm gear tuners; black finish.
- STRINGS: Compatible with most standard upright bass strings. D'Addario stainless steel flatwound strings standard.
- TRIPOD STAND (standard): Chrome-plated steel, fully adjustable, standing tripod design. Weight 3.2 kg (7 lbs.)
- GIG BAG: (standard) Padded tube with handle and shoulder strap, 137 cm (54") long; 18 cm (7") in diameter. Loaded weight is 8.2 kg (18 Ibs.), including stand. Fits in the overhead luggage compartment of most commercial aircraft.
Yes, we carry the full line of NS Design instruments, check them out on our website and contact us for pricing and availability.
Is this product returnable? Click here for our return policy.
International customer? Click here for important information about ordering from outside the USA.
Additional Photos of this Product
Simply "mouse over" the small thumbnail image to see the full-sized version.
FAQs Associated With This Product
BASS GUITAR TO UPRIGHT BASS: The Top Ten mistakes migrating players make...
Eminence Electric Upright Bass
I still gravitate to an instrument that feels familiar to my hands and ears, and the Eminence bass really fits the bill. Available in 4 and 5 string versions, with either a fixed or removable neck...
NXT Electric Upright Bass by NS Design - 4/5 String, Full Size Bass
The NXT Series instruments are the same design as the popular WAV4 Bass, but are made in NS Design's top notch Czech factory. Nothing even comes close in this price range...
OMNI Bass by NS Design (CR Series) - Compact Electric Upright Bass, 4/5 string
The OMNI Bass (formerly known as the "Bass Cello") from NS Designs is uniquely attractive to players who play mostly electric bass and want a "crossover" instrument. Now available in both 4 and 5-string versions, and new 5-String FRETTED...
Lightweight Plastic Travel Case for NS Design Bass Instruments
We searched high and low for a more affordable hard case for the NS Design Bass lineup (NS Design makes a wonderful ATA-Rated case, but it's pretty pricey). Here's our answer...
Heavy Duty Flight Case for NS Design Bass or OmniBass
For the frequent NS Design bass players/flyers in the group, this flight case is a necessity for keeping your axe in one playable piece...
Neck Heel for NS Design CR Basses
This optional NS Design Double Bass Neck Heel is an ideal add-on for bassists who like to have that familiar reference point on their electric instrument.
Endpin Stand (and accessories) for NS Design Basses
Endpin - lets you use a more traditional type of playing position than a tripod; has a hip bout and an optional add-on for the stock stand to make the tripod a storage stand...
Shoulder Strap System for NS Design Basses & Cellos
With the Strap System to you can achieve full mobility with amazing comfort. For the NS Design basses, cellos, and OmniBasses...
** OEM String Set: NSFL for NS Design Electric Upright Basses (NS4FL)
Original Equipment NSFL strings for the NS Design CR model basses are designed for the shorter overall length of the CR4M bass from NS Design...
String Sets: NS Electric Traditional for NS Design Electric Upright Basses NS610
The NS Electric line has been conceived jointly by Ned Steinberger and D’Addario. The Traditional set is designed for use with the CR4M, CR5M, NXT and WAV4 basses, from NS Design, to provide a more "traditional" upright tone...
String Sets: NS Electric Contemporary Electric Upright Basses NSFW610
The NS Electric line has been conceived jointly by Ned Steinberger and D’Addario. The "Contemporary" set is designed for use with the CR4M, CR5M, NXT and WAV4 from NS Design, to provide a bright, powerful sustained tone...
Here is what some of our customers think about this product:
The bass has arrived and it sounds, looks and feels incredible :)
Thanks for exellent service! I will recommend you to others.
—Arve F (Norway)
Hey Mark, just wanted to send a quick note to let you know how pleased I am with my purchase. After a couple weeks with my new cr5m I have to take a break because of "beginner blisters"! Again thanks for your advice and help in choosing my new instrument....you guys will be my bass shop for the rest of my career !
—Charles R (Feb 2010)
Dear Bob and Mark:
I just received my bass today and it is spectacular. What an outstanding neck! Thank you for your effective and expedited support. When I can prepare a weather-controlled room with enough space in my house, I will plan a trip to NJ to see you about a good acoustic bass. Now I have the NS Design bass, so I'm not in much of a hurry.
—Luis A (04/2010)
Just wanted to say thanks for getting the cable to me. The timing was perfect: It arrived yesterday, just in time to "go to work" in the first string class session.
It seems that I'm the only bass guy to sign up for this class. As if that didn't make me stick out enough, the NS bass *really* drew lots of attention. The conductor, violin instructor, and one of the cellists were keenly interested in looking it over. The NS sounded fantastic (of course), and really filled up the room with its sound.
The Meisel tuner drew the eye of that same cellist, who'd been fumbling with an iphone app to tune up. (Yes, really.) I demonstrated the tuner, mentioned your shop by name, and suggested he seek you out to get one for himself.
Last but not least, I also rocked the official Gollihur Bass Mug! I only wish it came in a larger size. A 90-minute class is long, and I was thirsty! (Or, maybe I should get a couple more...) ;D
All in all, it was a great time, and thanks to your shop, I walked in completely geared up, and ready to go. This should be a fun season!
—C.C. (September 2011)