This is a great unit for those who need a dependable DI to run to a PA board or other device, with a bunch of very useful features for live and studio work. It is especially useful for acoustic instruments; I've appreciated its phase switch and expanded tone control section when using it with my upright bass.
Powerful yet easy-to-use features are what give the the Pro-EQ Platinum Bass the versatility to shine for both acoustic and electric instruments. One of the key elements of the multi-faceted Platinum Bass is its ability to add warmth to a raw bass signal without sacrificing punch or corrupting the purity of the signal. Fishman uses sweet sounding J-FET technology for smoothness, along with a Voltage Doubler circuit with quick articulation and full, open dynamics, so it has enough headroom even when running on its internal 9 volt battery. A quality 9 volt AC adaptor (not included) can be used, or when plugged into a mixing board with standard 48v phantom power, the internal battery is disconnected and the unit is powered by the board.
The one knob photo-optic compressor lets you dial up more punch, attack and sustain without any of the pumping or squashing that plagues other (so called) bass compressors. And its simplicity is welcome; just because it doesn't have a flock of knobs doesn't mean it won't do the job. The preamp’s five-band graphic EQ is specifically voiced for bass. The Pre/Post switch lets you choose to send your EQ settings to the board, through the quiet DI, or just send the pure sound of the instrument pickup- that way, you can optionally have and adjust your on-stage sound without affecting the sound going to the board. Finally, an innovative "Depth" control lets the player dial in tight and focused bass for a quick and defined bottom end.
Features and Specifications:
- Five-Band Graphic EQ-dialed in just for bass
- Bass = ±12dB at 30Hz
- Low Mid = ±6dB at 200hz
- Mid = ±6dB at 1.25kHz
- Hi Mid = ±9dB at 5kHz
- Treble = ±12dB at 10kHz
- Quick Start printed on back of unit for easy reference:
- 10 megohm input impedance, great for acoustic instrument transducers
- Soft-knee, pump-free, Photo-optic compression; maximum gain reduction of -14dB
- Depth control for big bottom without boom or flab; 12dB/octave low cut filter, 15 to 125 Hz
- Phase switch to aid in fighting acoustic instrument feedback
- XLR DI balanced out, with ground lift to avoid hum, and pre/post switch.
- 1/4" Unbalanced output for driving your onstage amplifier (can be used simultaneously with balanced out, above)
- Tuner out 1/4" jack
- combination Clip Light and Low Battery Light indicator
- 3-way power, from 9V battery, 48V phantom or AC adapter (not included); battery life 80+ hours continuous
- Weight: 1 lb., 13 oz. with battery
- Size: 6¾ x 4 x 2 inches
- Heavy duty steel and plastic enclosure with non-slip rubber contact areas on the bottom of the case
- Comprehensive manual includes sample EQ settings and feedback fighting suggestions
- suited for acoustic, upright, and electric basses
An optional 110v power adaptor is available and can be purchased separately (below) or at a discount when ordered with the preamp; use the -Please Choose- box above. Fishman does not offer a 220v mains adaptor.
Read a product review from OnStage Magazine