Upright Bass Pickups
Upright Bass Mics
Amps and Preamps:
Preamps & Equalizers
Amplifiers & Speakers
Bows & Rosin
Cases & Gig Bags
Books and DVDs
Double Bass Bridges
Other Bass Parts
Violin, Viola, Cello
Bob's Bargain Basement
Eastern USA Time
or mail check/MO
Ordering From Us
How to Order
Upright Bass FAQs
Questions and Answers
Bass Luthier List
Bass Teacher List
Double Bass Links
Join Our Mailing List
Bass Classified Ads
Our site is tested by TWO services every day to protect your information.
We are an authorized retailer for everything we sell - we do not use unathorized "Gray Market" sources.
BOWS: French and German Grip
Special Purchase: NS Design Omni Basses at HUGE Discount
We've just received a small number of the 4-string CR-model Omni Basses, and can sell them at a fabulous price. This is the deluxe model, with the piezo/magnetic dual-source pickup system, onboard preamp with EQ, blend, and polar mode knobs, the Boomerang Strap, Deluxe gig bag... and the basses are BRAND NEW IN BOX, A-Stock basses - no cosmetic issues, no electronic problems. Brand new first-quality basses, just at a killer discounted price that's so low, I'm not allowed to publish it on the site.Check it out - and maybe get one - now
The New Exclusive NS Design Bass is Here!
And it's awesome! Check out our EXCLUSIVE "Traditional" NXT basses
- with custom dark brown finish, upgraded tuning machines, and Traditional string set pre-installed, it's ready-to-go for players who need a more "authentic" vibe from their solid-body EUB. We even include stick-on faux f-holes to complete the look. Quantities are very limited...
Carbon Fiber ARTIST Double Bass Bow
I held off getting a mid-range carbon fiber bow for a long time; I was waiting for the quality to go up (and the prices to come down.) Now, I've found this wonderful bow, which is quite well-appointed, nicely balanced, and very finely haired. With a warm brown color and woven carbon fiber finish, it's traditional meets high-tech - and with a comfortable, familiar feel, you can get right to work with it.
DELUXE Professional 3/4 size Upright Bass Bag
This most feature-packed, robust, heavily-padded bag we've found has top-shelf construction and durability for the ultimate protection a padded bag can offer. With backpack straps, rolling wheels, riveted handles, and thick padding, this bag is an amazing value.
K&M Universal Tablet Computer Holder (Mounts to Mic Stand)
More and more tech-savvy folks are using tablet computers like iPads and Android tablets for music performance - set lists, chord changes, even scrolling music. This adjustable, really well-made and designed holder simply mounts to a mic stand and provides confident, easy mounting for your tablet.
French or German Bow - Which should I choose?
Unlike the other stringed instruments, with bass you have a choice of bow styles. If you're new to the bow, how are you supposed to know which one to choose? Here's a quick overview to help you decide.
The French bow has a smaller frog (the part of the bow you hold) and looks more like the bows you'd use to play cello, viola or violin. It is also held in a similar fashion as with those instruments, with an "overhand" grip.
The German bow (aka "Butler") has a taller frog and is held in an "underhand" grip. Generally speaking, the rest of the bow is virtually identical, using a similar stick, and is haired in the same way.
So what's that mean to you? Here are some additional thoughts:
- There isn't one type of bow that is necessarily "better." It's sort of like asking, "what's better, vanilla or chocolate?"
- Often, the primary reason that a player would choose one over the other is because "that's what my teacher played and that's what he/she taught me."
- That said, many players feel that a French bow is better for "finesse" and a German bow is better for "power."
- Accordingly, many orchestral players actually become competent with both bow styles and own bows of each style to suit specific performance needs.
- ...And there are plenty of bassists who play French with power and/or German with finesse.
- French bows used to have a substantial edge in the USA, but German bows have made a resurgence. We still sell more French than German, but not by nearly as big a margin.
- Learning materials for French are probably a little easier to come by due to this popularity (and their similarity to the bows of the rest of the string family). So if you're not already married to one or the other - and are learning on your own - opting for French may ease the transition to arco - especially if you have experience with other instruments in the string family.
- We always recommend studying with a reputable instructor, especially when starting the instrument or a new technique (like arco) - so ask your teacher which is best for you!
- There are multiple variations of the grips as illustrated in the examples below, so don't accept what's shown as "gospel"; your teacher's technique or your learning materials may differ.
Products Related to This FAQ
The Fine Print:The information contained herein is based on what's in my brain — and/or my observations and opinions from my personal experiences (and those of Bob, before me) — as of this moment today, and is subject to change. I'm sure that a great deal more information and detail could be added — but the intent of these writings is to present easily understood, quick FAQs, to address common questions and improve the reader's general knowledge.
What's written here is by no means any kind of authoritative absolute answer, for I am not the world's greatest authority on bass (not even close), or on much of anything else, for that matter. So, by all means, get a second opinion, and know that all the information provided here is for general informational purposes only. I am not providing professional advice; be aware that, where applicable, any information acted upon is at your own risk.
I simply and sincerely hope the information and opinions here are helpful to you on your quest for knowledge about the bass and related subjects... that's the point!
I welcome email with dissenting and additional viewpoints/information/updates that help improve my personal awareness and these content pages. If you have a question that you think belongs here, please let me know.